Thursdays. 7.30-9pm. Yoga classes
Norbury Methodist Church, 2a Pollards Hill North
£10/£8 concessions). To book contact telephone: 07903421271 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Limited space, please book to avoid disappointment
First Saturday of the month. 11am-noon. Local Councillors advice surgery for residents
Norbury Library, Beatrice Avenue.
This is your opportunity to raise personal difficulties you are having with the Council, your landlord, other organisations and neighbours, and on issues affecting Norbury.
Thursday 15 June. 7pm. Love Norbury Transport Committee
This will be the first meeting of the Committee which was set up following the Joint Planning Committee’s public meeting on transport issues held last December. Norbury faces key challenges over transport:
- increasing number of rail passengers
- ramp access problems for the those with poor mobility
- the refusal of Southern Railway to open up its third exit onto London Rd
- the pending closure of the ticket office
- the increasing congestion on the roads reducing bus times
- the overcrowding of buses at certain times so people have to wait for sometimes the third bus to be able to get on
- the increasing competition for car parking in the side streets off Londoners
- the lack of a bus service through Norbury Hill area between London Rd and Beulah Lane.
- the problems for enforcement on the existing and new 20mph zone.
So there is plenty to discuss and consider what action needs taking.
I raised these issues in my participation for the Joint Planning Committee at the Croydon Local Plan Hearing sessions held last month.
I was informed at it that Granville Rd Car Park will not be built on because it is a site of risk of flooding.
The Joint Planning Committee continues to raise problems on inadequate car parking provision in relation to new planning applications.
Meeting venue: Norbury Pub
Saturday 17 June. 11am-2pm. Clean Up Norbury Day
Sunday 18 June. 12noon- 4pm. Love Norbury in Bloom – Summer Festival, St Helen’s Road Triangle
Saturday 24 June. 2.30pm. The Work and Life Histories of Local Artists
Talk by Norbury’s historian David Clark as part of Croydon Heritage Festival.
Norbury Library. Please book place by ringing 020 3711 1011 because seating is limited.
Part of Croydon Heritage Festival
Sunday 25 June. 2pm. A Heritage Walk to Norwood Grove and the Rookery
Walk led by Norbury historian David Clark. Starts at Norbury Station.
Part of Croydon Heritage Festival
Croydon Heritage Festival 24 – 30 June
The Whitgift Foundation which sponsers it explaisn the Festial at
The full programme including events other events from 16 June can be seen at:
This includes my talk on the East India Company and Croydon on 19 June. My talk on South Croydon has yet to be added.
History events in Croydon June to September
The June to September programme of history and heritage events organised by the local societies can be seen at:
History events in Lambeth and Wandsworth
As getting into these two Boroughs is easy, you might be interested in some of the events taking place. See:
Saturday 1 July. 11.30am onwards. St Philip’s Church Summer Fair
Saturday 15 July. 2-6pm. Pollards Hill Residents Association Summer Saturday family event
St Philip’s Church Hall
- What do you eat at home for lunch or tea?
Can you prepare a dish and bring it along to share? We are looking forward to sampling the rich ranger of cuisines found in our neighbourhood. Sweet and savoury items all welcome.
We are planning the details of the event right now and pooling ideas. As well as food and drink, we are hoping to include entertainments of various kinds, stalls where you can demonstrate and display your crafts, a book exchange. Any suggestions?
- Do you know an entertainer or musician who is starting to make their way? We can provide them with a venue or audience – we are looking for the talent of Pollards Hill – old and young!
To contact PHRA go to http://www.phranorbury.co.uk/contact